Wednesday, April 15

Sprint Triathlon

Let it be known from the beginning that I believe running to be Satan's sport. I hate it on almost every level.

So here I am training for a sprint triathlon. Only a mere 3 miles are required to run (I think). I am figuring that I can run that amount. I did in high school for P.E. and despised it then too. Now before you think I am all amazing and super cool, let me say that this is a training program for fat people. It is an 8-month program and here I am in week 2. It is going very well. My workouts are different than what I am used too, but I was already working out longer than is requested on my training log. I will say my body is responding positively after only a week. It is very encouraging.

And now, what prompted such extreme measures? Why a triathlon? Do I realize how overweight I am? Am I crazy? Well, there were a lot of factors building to this decision. But the idea just popped into my head two weeks ago as I was driving. I thought I could manage the biking and swimming, just work really hard on the running.

I consulted with the fitness expert of the fam; a.k.a Noel. She told me about sprint triathlons which are super condensed which was perfect for little old me!!! Yeah!

Here are the reasons for me doing this little race:

1. Cora - I am forever being critiqued by this little girl. She says almost daily, "I just don't get it! You have such a long, skinny nose but so much extra skin on the rest of your body." Nice. Lovely ways of stating that I am fat.

2. Shay -I can hardly be offended but Shay managed it a couple of months ago. She seriously sent me a link to "The Biggest Loser" and begged me to apply. I know I am fat, but those people are just in a whole other fat category. Really Shay?

3. Carlos - he has subtly displayed skinny pictures of me in the house. Like it was a woman he use to know. Poor boy. A negative of getting skinny will be his sex drive. He has a high one as is, what is it going to be like when I'm hot?

4. Kara - this little cousin of mine just needs me to be skinny for her photog pleasure.

5. Mom - Last time I visited with mom she roped me into a contest of sorts. We knew we'd see each other at July 4th. So it is on, to see which one of us can loose 20 pounds by then.

6. Maya - my sister-in-law is a tiny little thing who decided this year was her year. She has attacked her weight loss with a vengeance. That's the only way she does anything, for those of you who don't know her. She has lost 10-12 pounds last I heard. Go Maya!!!

7. Mr. Cholesterol - yep, I'm high, like 213 or something. I've always been high even in the skinny era, but I'm getting older and my doctor threatened medication at my next physical. Really, do I need to be on one more medication? No thank you.

8. Mr. Diabetes - this little disease runs rampant in my family. I feel like a time-bomb about to detonate. With all this extra weight it is only a matter of time until it hits officially. I don't want that.

9. Cute clothes - fat people don't get cute clothes. And then if you do find something semi-cute you have to pay extra because it is a fat-mama size. Fortunately, I am still in extra larges, but the next size up is super fat-mama size and I am NOT going there. And I do actually have cute taste in clothes. You would never know that because I dress like a hag, but once I'm skinny I will be smok'n on all sorts of levels - clothing being one of them.

10. The Challenge - I want the challenge of training a long time for an end product. I think the triathlon will be so amazing to complete. It will be such a rewarding accomplishment. The discipline, sacrifice, work, routine will spill over into other facets of my daily life. It's all good.

Holy crap, wish me luck!

5 comments:

Molly Bea said...

WAY TO GO GIRL!!! I am so proud of you Jen, awesome!!!! You are amazing and will rock this! (and of course be the super "hot" mama you already are!!!) I'm cheering for you!

Anne said...

rock on, sista! good luck! i know you can do it.

Mme. Kara said...

Pretty soon you'll be like Marlene from 16 candles and running the 40 yard dash in five seconds flat..."Flat?" ;)

Brittny Pruett said...

Hey Jen, this goal is awesome! All of your reasons for training made me laugh. And yes, I did start reading your blog uninvited...I hope that isn't creepy. If it is deal with it cause you make me laugh and that's why I will continue to read this blog. And I totally agree with you that running is Satan's sport. I'm convinced sprints and marathons are what hell and damnation consist of.

Kristina said...

Hey! Biggest Loser is what got me back on the treadmill - okay not really, because I itch just thinking about treadmills - but back into working out...maybe I'll tackle the diet in a few months...I stand in awe of those folks, 15 weeks ago I was the same weight and some of them have lost almost an entire person in size. Good luck Jenn - I think you are beautiful and EVERYONE knows you've got S-T-Y-L-E!