Saturday, April 18

Ode to Annette

When it comes to sisters-by-law, I must admit, I've got some good ones. I mean I have really lucked out in the "by-law" category. I genuinely likie, and dare I profess, even love my brothers' wives and husband's sisters'. Wow.

But, we must pause on little Annette. The saint who committed her life to Brandon. (Come on Bran, you know I love you.) Miss Annette is a funny creature. She is very proper, semi-formal, polite, obeys etiquette, etc. You get the picture right? She is quite traditional and lovingly tied to her family. Oh, but she is a closet wild woman... This is what I most love about her. I guess because she IS so proper and polite that when she lets loose it's twice as entertaining.

She'll sporadically burst into song, do the Elaine from Seinfeld dance-slash-kick move, tackle a small child - usually male, or become quite loud and boisterous. She is a funny, funny chick.

She also has THE MOST AMAZING LEGS EVA!! Not like super model 6-foot long legs, no not those, because all of her is probably 5'2" on a good day. She has these ridiculously toned, perfectly shaped, shortish, smooth, tanned, flawless legs. I mean, they are amazing. She is a sex goddess with those bad boys. And then she has amazing blue eyeballs. They are very pretty which are only accentuated by her year-round dark skin. You'd think she tans regularly but Brandon would never permit that. I personally think she has some Indian blood in her or something. She's a dark Caucasian, that's all I'm saying.

She has blended beautifully into our crazy, large family. She has one other sibling. I often think of her during our Carter gatherings and watch her interact. How odd it must have been for her to gel those first few years with us. Huge Mormon family, wild boys, drama girls, running, yelling, organized chaos everywhere. I don't worry about her now. First off, we've worn her down through the years, she's immune to the insanity and more often than not, contributes to it now. And second, she has suffered, bled, celebrated, and cheered with us all through the years. She is so in the club.

You can send her a congratulatory or "with sympathy" card at your discretion.

Anyhow, the polish...Miss Annette is the one who got me hooked on OPI Nail Lacquer. Yeah, I only have five colors, but I am really low maintenance. Every time I spoil myself with a pedicure I tote along one of my colors and always think of Annette. Thanks girlie, you're a peach!!

For posterity's sake, here are the polish colors: Blonde Date, Chocolate Shake-Spear, Senorita Rose-alita (my current favorite), Opi Red (which looks really gross in this picture, but isn't in real life), and You ottaware Purple (which is NOT mine, I don't know where it came from). Mom??

The end.

4 comments:

shalynn said...

ditto on all the things you said about annette. and i think the purple might be mine...but let's face it, my nails never get long enough for me to use it.(you know why)

Molly Bea said...

I LOVE this post. and I LOVE Annette...I know we see each other what, every OTHER year? (ridiculous!)
But how can you NOT adore that girl? As far as he nails go...you think YOU'RE low-maintenance girl? I can't remember the last time I painted my toenails, let alone FINGER nails! You'd be appalled! :) (and i wear slippers (sandels) EVERY day! :))

Annette said...

Oh, sweet, sweet Jennifer - who never lacks in words for any circumstance or occasion- how I love you!!! Your toughtful ode was quite humbling. How would you know that I would need a bit of a cheering section being the wife of your elder bro? And, I, without hesitation proclaim my deepest love and admiration for the entire Carter Clan. It is an absolute privledge to call you family.

Noel said...

Annette-I love you! I'm so happy to have you as my sister-in-law. Jen-thanks for writing this. I love you too!