Tuesday, April 21

Bribery

Cristian came home with this rainbow certificate. I immediately emailed his teacher, Mrs. Land. I could see through her ploy.

Not only did he receive this gorgeous award (for reading) but she enticed him with $100 (fake money), a movie with popcorn with any friend of his choice (shown at school), and lunch with the teacher. Lunch with your teacher made me laugh. I guess only good students would find that appealing. To most, it would come off as more of a punishment.

Yeah, Mrs. Land was raising the stakes here. Seducing my child with currency and entertainment. What was her angle? Oh, I'll tell you her angle...She knew I was transferring the kids to another school. Mason's at one school with the older two at another. I vowed to have them all under one roof for the next school year.

Cristian's teacher finally called my bluff with a telephone call last week. She informed me that she was moving up to 3rd grade and she wanted Cristian in her class again. Goodness, the nerve right? She let me marinate in the offer over the weekend and then....BAM! Gifts and bribes pouring out of Cristian's backpack. I tell ya, she knows what she is doing.

Should I fall for her ploy or stick to my guns?

4 comments:

Anne said...

so funny! that is the ultimate compliment when a teacher wants to have your kid again.

Manda said...

way to go Christain... My oldest's teacher has had to resort to bribery as well to get him to do his work. It works!

Annette said...

ok jennifer....lunch with the teacher is a punishment - i don't know who you had leading your academic journeys - teachers are the ultimate reward! Has he had an exceptional year?
Looping has its advantages - she knows him now and will not need the background to guide his instruction and he can hit the ground running next fall. The year that I looped with my kiddos was probably one of the best years of my teaching career. REGARDLESS... he will continue to develop and thrive no matter where you choose to advance his academic career.

kcwatson said...

I like visiting "Cruz Chatter"...I would say Christain will be a good student wherever...stick to you guns, convience counts when you have 4 kids!