Wednesday, November 19

Hooked on Phonics

So little miss Cora will be our reading prodigy we think. She has taken initiative with her academic career and run with it. I'm not sure what it is they learn in kindergarten, but they are doing something right because she is ever so interested in reading. Sadly, I don't spend the time with her to let her read a whole book to me - you'd think she was my 8th child or something. So she improvised and skipped to writing. She put a smattering of letters on a paper the other night and read them off to me. "What does that spell mama?" "That doesn't really spell anything babe." She has been doing this little game with me for about 2 weeks now. I stopped the laundry for a second and listened to her sound out each letter. "That almost sounds like octopus though," I said. "I know; that was what I was trying to write." OKAY, PARENTING LOSER AWARD REDEEMED HERE!! She has been doing this for 2 weeks and I never stopped to really see what she was doing. So the other night she wanted to spell words and this time I knew what that meant. Here is a sampling of her thought processes:

PESA = PIZZA
PLAT = PLATE
BYNNA = BANANA
PAR = PEAR
BRED = BREAD
NOZ = NOSE
PUANS = PANTS
PRESET = PRESENT

GENIUS!!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

SO SMART! GO CORA!