Monday, December 1

And Now Political Commentary...Sort of

Posted by Carlos

As some of you know, this November was my first presidential election. I was pretty psyched about the whole experience of following the election and paid much closer attention to some of the issues surrounding the election than I have in the past. I have to say I felt proud to step into line with other voters before I went to work on Wednesday, October 29 (early voting in Texas). Then, almost a week later, I was dissapointed when I listened to the news that Barack Obama had clinched the necessary electoral votes to be the next U.S. President.
Fast forward a couple of weeks and then I had a dream. It took place in the present so Barack Obama was 'President elect'. In this dream I was in a cafe having breakfast when in walked...Barack Obama...surrounded by secret service. It wasn't a fancy place, not that big either; as a matter of fact there were more secret service there than everyone else put together. As I sat there, I thought of all the reasons I didn't vote for him. But in the midst of my grumbling I thought,
How can I let this chance go by without saying anything to him? I will probably never get another opportunity to speak first hand to him and have his undivided attention.
So I got up from my side of the cafe and made my way towards him. As I approached, a few secret service lunged at me, but Mr. Obama waved them back allowing me to come to him. As I stood in front of him, he stood to greet me. I put my hand out and introduced myself to him. As I did so I proceeded to tell him that I didn't vote for him and that there were many things we disagree on.
However, I said, I want you to know that I don't hope that you fail as a leader of this great country. I love the United States very much and I will pray that you will make good choices that, in the end, will bring success and prosperity to the country and continue to make this the best country in the world to live in.
And that was it. I said my piece and my dream was over.

Maybe I was tired of all the mudslinging we heard the last couple of years,but I still think about what I said to Obama in my dream. Success may mean something different to him than to me, but maybe not.

2 comments:

Anne said...

dude---you are a good writer. great thoughts, carlos.

shalynn said...

love your political ideas. coming to peace with the election is a big step. am i there yet? i don't know.