Thursday, November 12

Throw Down

Okay, so sadly this is a very true story. Even more sadly it didn't involve any of my kids - it involved their mommie.

The kids' school had a nice assembly in honor of Veteran's Day yesterday. Cora was thrilled I was going so I could see her and Mason performing their two songs that they learned.

Perry and I filed into a row of chairs, followed by a friend from church, her son, and Luli. Behind us was another mom with two very young children. I'm sure she was there for older children participating. Next to her.... was the mega-beaver.

This lady was about mid-50. Honestly, I noticed her sour face before the program started but didn't think anything of it. She sat directly behind me. The program started.

So, the two young kids behind me were talkative. And my friend next to me has a rambunctious little boy. Both moms were doing their best to busy their kids and keep them quiet. All through the assembly, or at least the 20 minutes I was there for it, Miss Sour Grapes kept commenting on the noise. And she wasn't subtle - at all. Honestly, about every 90 seconds she'd say something under her breath. (I HATE it when people do this, just politely turn to the mom and ask her to quiet down!) But no, she kept making very rude comments out loud without speaking directly. She even sharply reprimanded my friend's son.

So this goes on. She's saying things like, "I can't believe how disrespectful everyone is being. This is ridiculous, I can't even hear what is being said. People need to take their kids out of here." Seriously, she was annoying me, shifting around in her seat, huffing and puffing, and talking all through the assembly.

About two minutes before the thrown down, the man sitting next to her said something to the effect of "calm down" or "relax". Evidently he was her father as she snipped, "I will NOT be quiet dad. This is ridiculous!"

My blood was beginning to boil. I knew I was going to confront her. I had to leave early to teach Perry's preschool class so I kept eyeing the clock to "see" as much of the assembly as possible before I gave her my two cents and had to leave. Finally, it was time.

I turned around and said, "You do realize that you are at an elementary school program right?"

MB (Mega Beast): "I'm not talking to you so you can turn yourself around."
J: "You aren't talking to me but everyone can sure hear you. You are at an elementary school which involves young kids."
MB: "You can just shut your mouth and turn yourself around."
J: "Do you realize how rude and disrespectful you are being to everyone? You made the lady next to you leave with your comments."
MB: "You are probably just saying that because she is your friend or something."
J: "No, I have no idea who that lady is, but I am sure she is here to watch her child in the program."
MB: "I am done talking to you so you can turn yourself around now."
J: "If the noise is bothering you why don't you go sit somewhere else?"
MB: "I have a seat right here. I'm not moving anywhere."
J: "Look lady, its obvious to me that your are an irritable, bitter person..."
MB: "Yeah, well you're fat."
J: "Well, I'll get right on that for ya. But I got to tell you, when I'm skinny you'll still be a bitch! Have a nice day!"
MB: "And you look butch."
J: "Whatever."

I laughed to myself down the corridor. I couldn't believe she pulled the fat/butch card. I felt like I was arguing with a 10-year old.

I'm proud of myself, whether or not I should be, of letting her have it. She reminds me of our neighbor. She also is a very bitter, negative, crabby person. I've never heard a nice or even neutral word from her mouth. She makes me look like an optimist.

It's sad to think there are people that just hate themselves that much. It was like this woman just hated people, despised humanity. She was rotten through and through. I thought it interesting that her dad never said a word during the exchange. And more interesting that the row of people behind her were smiling while we argued.

So that's my first thrown down. My only regret is that I think she thought she got me to leave. Dang it, it weighs out as a victory for her. Oh well, I still feel real good.

10 comments:

Anne said...

i applaud you, sista. i am in shock over the idiotic things that came out of her mouth...a 50 something year old's mouth! she must be a super fun grandma.

Kristina said...

If I had been sitting next to you I wouldn't have waited. She would have had it from me the second comment out of her mouth. Seriously, did she think she was at an adult memorial? Ugh, I just wish you had said something before you had to leave so she would wallow in it for a while and to see if she actually COULD keep her trap shut. I hate stupid people. I think I'm normally very nice and reserved but not with stupids.

deeder6 said...

I'm personally very proud of you. I just wish I could have witnessed it!

Craig said...

i heart jen cruz! (deal with it carlos).

Noel said...

I heart jen cruz too! Do you know of anyone that could have captured that on their video camera? Classic..and good for you!

shalynn said...

a. i love the story. only you jen...
b. craig is cracking me up!

Jen said...

mc craiger, i love you too. if i ever leave carlos for a gay man, it'll be YOU!!

Christina said...

I have always admired your ability to stand up for yourself...I tend to hide in those situations. Way to go! You're my hero ;)

Lei said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lei said...

Sorry - delete was mine!

That makes me so mad, especially the way she responded to you - although is it really a surprise with how she'd been acting throughout the program? If I had been there Jen I might have clocked her. Seriously, MY biggest pet peeve is inconsideration... while everyone she was peeved at was at least TRYING (to quiet down kids, etc.), she made no effort to keep her mouth shut. Ugh. Not cool.