Saturday, March 14

Lebanese Grape Leaves - Oooh, that rhymes

Noel has her spring break this week so she and I took on a little culinary adventure. I had purchased these grape leaves about 6 months ago & finally found my cooking mojo. These are not hard, nor complicated. Just time consuming. The leaves had to be rinsed. Does it mildly resemble a pot leaf or am I just too hopeful?



Little Miss Noel was handy with the kitchen scissors. She deveined each leaf with gentle loving care. Let's face it, she is good for small detailed work. It must be her PT training. On a happy note, I love it that Noel is the one person that I can prep food with while talking about gory surgery and decaying limbs. That's a gift.



The time consuming task of stuffing the leaves. My recipe actually said that the prep time for this recipe was 45 minutes. What a bunch of crack smokers! That must be measured against Martha Stewart who has a prep staff of 15 beneath her per recipe. Cora was wherever her auntie was. She loves Noel terribly.









All the white granules are minced garlic. We sandwiched garlic between each layer. Then you pour lemon juice over all the bundles. Fill the pot with water. Cover the leaves with a heavy plate to keep them still. Cook for 2 hours. They were better tasting I thought the next day. It was fun making something ethnic and different. Carlos enjoyed showing them off at work.

4 comments:

Carlos said...

My favorite comment during my tasty lunch was when someone came into my office and the first thing they said was,"It smells like a meat market in here." Now that I think about it, I don't think they meant it as a compliment.

Noel said...

Jen-this was so fun..I want to make them again. Maybe on my next break? Thanks for hanging out this week. I loved EVERY minute of it!

Anne said...

holy impressive, ladies. can you ship me some so i can pretend i made them??

shalynn said...

desperatley wish i was there! to prepare, chat, talk blood, and EAT of course.