Tuesday, January 4

Tender Mercies

Mason and I were talking about "mommie Ana" the other day. I make it a point to bring her up quite often to him. He remembers quite a bit of life with her and I feel that a lot of his feelings about himself have resulted from his time with her. I want normalize his life as much as possible and let him know that he can talk to us about anything in regards to her, us, adoption, etc.

I was commenting on how gorgeous of a child I think he is. I pointed out that his gets his hair and eye color from Ana. He looked at me aburptly and said, "No, I don't." I told him that he does. He has lighter skin like her and gorgeous brown eyes and hair like her. He denied it again with just as much fervor.

I asked if he remembered what Ana looked liked. And he replied, "Yes, she had yellow hair but I don't have yellow hair like her." I asked what color her eyes were. "They are blue like yours mom."

I was stunned. My first thought was, "Oh my gosh, I need to get a picture of Ana. He is forgetting what she looks like. He can't forget where he has come from!"

And then I was like, "Wait a minute. He thinks I am his mom. He is remembering only me as the face, the hair, the eyes that have loved him." Call me selfish (because I am VERY selfish, a lot) but for now, I am going to just marinate in the sweetness that I am his pulse to his world.

Thank you Macey-baby. I LOVE being your mommie, forever.

2 comments:

Molly Bea said...

Ah Jen, that is so precious! What a good mommy you are to give him so much and recognize and look after all the delicacies in an adoption. We saw dad in costa rica, he was talking about what a wonderful mother you are! He also told us about your upcoming vaca! When is that happening?

Noel said...

Such a sweet entry, Jen. Bring tears to my eyes. It's such a great blessing to see Pears and Mace mold into the family like they truly belong there. You are such a great example to me!